Skip to Main Content
Model-assisted survey regression estimation with the lassoAuthor(s): Kelly S. McConville; F. Jay Breidt; Thomas C. M. Lee; Gretchen G. Moisen
Source: Journal of Survey Statistics and Methodology. 5: 131-158.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
Download Publication (232.0 KB)
DescriptionIn the U.S. Forest Service’s Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program, as in other natural resource surveys, many auxiliary variables are available for use in model-assisted inference about finite population parameters. Some of this auxiliary information may be extraneous, and therefore model selection is appropriate to improve the efficiency of the survey regression estimators of finite population totals. A model-assisted survey regression estimator using the lasso is presented and extended to the adaptive lasso. For a sequence of finite populations and probability sampling designs, asymptotic properties of the lasso survey regression estimator are derived, including design consistency and central limit theory for the estimator and design consistency of a variance estimator. To estimate multiple finite population quantities with the method, lasso survey regression weights are developed, using both a model calibration approach and a ridge regression approximation. The gains in efficiency of the lasso estimator over the full regression estimator are demonstrated through a simulation study estimating tree canopy cover for a region in Utah.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcConville, Kelly S.; Breidt, F. Jay; Lee, Thomas C. M.; Moisen, Gretchen G. 2017. Model-assisted survey regression estimation with the lasso. Journal of Survey Statistics and Methodology. 5: 131-158.
Keywordsadaptive lasso, calibration estimation, complex surveys, generalized regression estimation, model-assisted inference, model selection
- Model-assisted estimation of forest resources with generalized additive models
- Use of models in large-area forest surveys: Comparing model-assisted, model-based and hybrid estimation
- Multivariate inference for forest inventories using auxiliary airborne laser scanning data
XML: View XML