Wind River Experimental Forest.Author(s): Valerie Rapp
Source: [brochure]. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station
Publication Series: Brochures
PDF: View PDF (1.31 MB)
DescriptionThe Wind River Experimental Forest, known as the cradle of forest research in the Pacific Northwest, is a major center for ecological and silvicultural research in west-side Pacific Northwest forests. In the state of Washington, Wind River Experimental Forest is in the south-central area of the Gifford Pinchot National Forest, north of the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area. The experimental forest is about a 1.5-hour drive east of Vancouver, Washington, on the Mount Adams Ranger District. It is administered cooperatively by the U.S. Forest Service Pacific Northwest Research Station and Gifford Pinchot National Forest.
The Wind River Experimental Forest is one of ten experimental areas associated with the Station. These experimental areas—forests, a watershed, and a range—represent important forest and range types and provide opportunities for short- and long-term field studies and demonstrations. Some forest management activities may occur; most of these activities are carried out as part of scientific studies and are sources of data. Research is the primary purpose.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRapp, Valerie. 2003. Wind River Experimental Forest. [brochure]. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station
KeywordsWind River Experimental Forest
- Beyond 2001: a silvicultural odyssey to sustaining terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems? Proceedings of the 2001 national silviculture workshop, May 6-10, Hood River, Oregon.
- Ponderosa promise: a history of U.S. Forest Service research in central Oregon.
- Starkey experimental forest and range.
XML: View XML