Skip to Main Content
Chapter 1: The Appalachian regional reforestation initiativeAuthor(s): Patrick Angel; Vic Davis; Jim Burger; Don Graves; Carl Zipper
Source: In: Adams, Mary Beth, ed. The Forestry Reclamation Approach: guide to successful reforestation of mined lands. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-169. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 1-1 – 1-4.
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (409.0 KB)
DescriptionThe Appalachian Regional Reforestation Initiative (ARRI) is a cooperative effort by the States of the Appalachian region with the U.S. Department of the Interior's Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement (OSMRE) to encourage restoration of high-quality forests on reclaimed coal mines in the eastern United States. The goals of ARRI are to communicate and encourage mine reforestation practices that 1) plant more high-value hardwood trees on reclaimed coal-mined lands in the Appalachian region, 2) increase the survival rates and growth rates of planted trees, and 3) expedite the establishment of forest habitat through natural succession. These goals can be achieved when mines are reclaimed by using the Forestry Reclamation Approach (FRA).
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAngel, Patrick; Davis, Vic; Burger, Jim; Graves, Don; Zipper, Carl. 2017. Chapter 1: The Appalachian regional reforestation initiative. In: Adams, Mary Beth, ed. The Forestry Reclamation Approach: guide to successful reforestation of mined lands. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-169. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 1-1 – 1-4.
- The Forestry Reclamation Approach: guide to successful reforestation of mined lands
- Chapter 9: Planting hardwood tree seedlings on reclaimed mine land in the Appalachian region
- Chapter 7: Selecting tree species for reforestation of Appalachian mined lands
XML: View XML