Skip to Main Content
Chapter 2: The forestry reclamation approachAuthor(s): Jim Burger; Don Graves; Patrick Angel; Vic Davis; Carl Zipper
Source: In: Adams, Mary Beth, ed. The Forestry Reclamation Approach: guide to successful reforestation of mined lands. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-169. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 2-1 – 2-8.
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionThe Forestry Reclamation Approach (FRA) is a method for reclaiming coal-mined land to forest under the federal Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act of 1977 (SMCRA). The FRA is based on knowledge gained from both scientific research and experience (Fig. 2-1). The FRA can achieve cost-effective regulatory compliance for mine operators while creating productive forests that generate value for their owners and provide watershed protection, wildlife habitat, and other environmental services.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBurger, Jim; Graves, Don; Angel, Patrick; Davis, Vic; Zipper, Carl. 2017. Chapter 2: The forestry reclamation approach. In: Adams, Mary Beth, ed. The Forestry Reclamation Approach: guide to successful reforestation of mined lands. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-169. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 2-1 – 2-8.
- Chapter 7: Selecting tree species for reforestation of Appalachian mined lands
- The Forestry Reclamation Approach: guide to successful reforestation of mined lands
- Chapter 3: Selecting materials for mine soil construction when establishing forests on Appalachian mined lands
XML: View XML