Skip to Main Content
Chapter 5: Loosening compacted soils on mined landsAuthor(s): B. Strahm; R. Sweigard; J. Burger; D. Graves; C. Zipper; C. Barton; J. Skousen; P. Angel
Source: In: Adams, Mary Beth, ed. The Forestry Reclamation Approach: guide to successful reforestation of mined lands. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-169. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 5-1 – 5-6.
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (686.0 KB)
DescriptionSuccessful surface coal mining businesses must move earth materials efficiently, so mining operations today depend on large and heavy equipment (Fig. 5-1). Track dozers and haul trucks used for mining can weigh more than 100 tons each. Wheel loaders and loaded haul trucks often exceed 200 tons. The mining industry has learned that successful reforestation of reclaimed sites requires loose and uncompacted surface materials, but some areas become compacted due to the machinery operation, traffic, and storage that are necessary for the mining business to be successful.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationStrahm, B.; Sweigard, R.; Burger, J.; Graves, D.; Zipper, C.; Barton, C.; Skousen, J.; Angel, P. 2017. Chapter 5: Loosening compacted soils on mined lands. In: Adams, Mary Beth, ed. The Forestry Reclamation Approach: guide to successful reforestation of mined lands. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-169. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 5-1 – 5-6.
- Chapter 2: The forestry reclamation approach
- Chapter 3: Selecting materials for mine soil construction when establishing forests on Appalachian mined lands
- Chapter 8: Mine reclamation practices to enhance forest development through natural succession
XML: View XML