Skip to Main Content
Chapter 7: Selecting tree species for reforestation of Appalachian mined landsAuthor(s): V. Davis; J.A. Burger; R. Rathfon; C.E. Zipper
Source: In: Adams, Mary Beth, ed. The Forestry Reclamation Approach: guide to successful reforestation of mined lands. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-169. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 7-1 – 7-10.
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (824.0 KB)
DescriptionThe Forestry Reclamation Approach (FRA) is a method for reclaiming coal-mined land to forested postmining land uses under the federal Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act of 1977 (SMCRA) (Chapter 2, this volume). Step 4 of the FRA is to plant native trees for commercial timber value, wildlife habitat, soil stability, watershed protection, and other environmental benefits. This Forest Reclamation Advisory provides guidance for selecting native tree species to plant on mine sites that are reclaimed by using the FRA in the Appalachian region.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDavis, V.; Burger, J.A.; Rathfon, R.; Zipper, C.E.; Miller C.R. 2017. Chapter 7: Selecting tree species for reforestation of Appalachian mined lands. In: Adams, Mary Beth, ed. The Forestry Reclamation Approach: guide to successful reforestation of mined lands. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-169. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 7-1 – 7-10.
- Chapter 9: Planting hardwood tree seedlings on reclaimed mine land in the Appalachian region
- Chapter 3: Selecting materials for mine soil construction when establishing forests on Appalachian mined lands
- Chapter 1: The Appalachian regional reforestation initiative
XML: View XML