Skip to Main Content
Chapter 9: Planting hardwood tree seedlings on reclaimed mine land in the Appalachian regionAuthor(s): V. Davis; J. Franklin; C. Zipper; P. Angel
Source: In: Adams, Mary Beth, ed. The Forestry Reclamation Approach: guide to successful reforestation of mined lands. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-169. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 9-1 – 9-10.
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionThe Forestry Reclamation Approach (FRA) is a method of reclaiming surface coal mines to forested postmining land use (Chapter 2, this volume). "Use proper tree planting techniques" is Step 5 of the FRA; when used with the other FRA steps, proper tree planting can help to ensure successful reforestation. Proper care and planting of tree seedlings is essential to any reforestation effort. Appalachian coal mines reclaimed by using the FRA will often be rough, rocky, and on steep terrain. Thus, hand planting is the usual method for planting hardwood tree seedlings. Professional tree planting companies with experience in hand-planting reclaimed mines can provide excellent results. Most of these companies offer a complete service that includes obtaining, handling, and planting hardwood tree seedlings. State forestry departments and consulting foresters can also provide valuable assistance.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDavis, V.; Franklin, J.; Zipper, C.; Angel, P. 2017. Chapter 9: Planting hardwood tree seedlings on reclaimed mine land in the Appalachian region. In: Adams, Mary Beth, ed. The Forestry Reclamation Approach: guide to successful reforestation of mined lands. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-169. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 9-1 – 9-10.
- Chapter 7: Selecting tree species for reforestation of Appalachian mined lands
- Chapter 1: The Appalachian regional reforestation initiative
- Chapter 3: Selecting materials for mine soil construction when establishing forests on Appalachian mined lands
XML: View XML