Skip to Main Content
Raman spectroscopy of CNC-and CNF-based nanocompositesAuthor(s): Umesh P. Agarwal
Source: In: Handbook of Nanocellulose and Cellulose Nanocomposites. John Wiley & Sons: 609-625. Chapter 18.
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: Download Publication (563.0 KB)
DescriptionIn this chapter, applications of Raman spectroscopy to nanocelluloses and nanocellulose composites are reviewed, and it is shown how use of various techniques in Raman can provide unique information. Some of the most important uses consisted of identification of cellulose nanomaterials, estimation of cellulose crystallinity, study of dispersion of cellulose nanocrystals (CNCs) in polymers, and assessment of CNC/matrix interactions. Further, using a bleached fiber, it was demonstrated that information on the orientation of cellulose at themolecular level can be obtained with the help of polarized Raman spectroscopy.This capability can therefore be used to study the organization of nanocelluloses in composites. Lastly, in nanocellulose composites, an example was given of how Raman spectroscopy can be used to quantify the strain or stress transferred to nanocelluloses from the surrounding polymer matrix.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAgarwal, Umesh P. 2017. Raman spectroscopy of CNC-and CNF-based nanocomposites. Kargarzadeh, Haneih; Ahmad, Ishak; Thomas, Sabu; Dufresne, Alain, eds. In: Handbook of Nanocellulose and Cellulose Nanocomposites. John Wiley & Sons. Chapter 18. p. 609-625.
KeywordsRaman spectroscopy, nanocellulose, nanocomposite, cellulose nanocrystal, cellulose nanofibril
- Cellulose Nanocrystals vs. Cellulose Nanofibrils: A Comparative study on Their Microstructures and Effects as Polymer Reinforcing Agents
- Chapter 1.4: Spatially Resolved Characterization of CNC-Polypropylene composite by Confocal Raman Microscopy
- Spatially Resolved Characterization of Cellulose Nanocrystal-Polypropylene Composite by Confocal Raman Microscopy
XML: View XML