Skip to Main Content
The influence of cellulose nanocrystals on the microstructure of cement pasteAuthor(s): Yizheng Cao; Nannan Tian; David Bahr; Pablo D. Zavattieri; Jeffrey Youngblood; Robert J. Moon; Jason Weiss
Source: Cement and Concrete Composites. Vol. 74: 164-173
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
Download Publication (3.0 MB)
DescriptionThis paper reports the influence of raw and sonicated cellulose nanocrystals (CNCs) on the micro-structure of cement paste. A novel centrifugation method is designed to measure the concentrations of the adsorbed CNCs (aCNCs) on the cement surface, and the free CNCs (fCNCs) which are mobile in water. It is found that, the majority of the CNCs (>94%) are aCNCs. More importantly, sonication does not significantly reduce the amount of aCNCs (reduction of less than 2%). We surmise that, after sonication, the aCNCs are primarily dispersed over the cement surface, instead of becoming fCNCs via sonication. Isothermal calorimetry and energy-dispersive-x-ray spectroscopy (EDX) results support this theory. The water desorption tests show that the total porosities of cement paste with raw and sonicated CNCs are 14.8% and 14.4%, which show a reduction from 16% for the plain cement paste. The porosity reduction is a result of an increase in the degree of hydration. The advantage of sonicated CNCs is they are dispersed, avoiding therefore agglomerates that can lead to pores, voids, and air entrapment. The nanoindentation results show that the reduced indentation modulus on the interfacial regions between cement particles and the low density CSH is increased when CNCs are used.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCao, Yizheng; Tian, Nannan; Bahr, David; Zavattieri, Pablo D.; Youngblood, Jeffrey; Moon, Robert J.; Weiss, Jason. 2016. The influence of cellulose nanocrystals on the microstructure of cement paste. Cement and Concrete Composites. 74: 164-173.
KeywordsCellulose nanocrystal, Cement, Agglomeration, Ultrasonication, Flexural strength, Nanoindentation
- The influence of cellulose nanocrystal additions on the performance of cement paste
- The relationship between cellulose nanocrystal dispersion and strength
- Interfacial Properties of Lignin-Based Electrospun Nanofibers and Films Reinforced with Cellulose Nanocrystals
XML: View XML