Skip to Main Content
Forests of West Virginia, 2016Author(s): Randall S. Morin; Grant M. Domke; Brian F. Walters
Source: Resource Update FS-123. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 4 p.
Publication Series: Resource Update (RU)
View PDF (851.0 KB)
DescriptionThis publication provides an overview of forest resources in West Virginia based on inventories conducted by the U.S. Forest Service, Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program of the Northern Research Station. For annual inventory years 2002-2013, the sample length was equal to 5 years. Beginning in 2014, the cycle length was changed to 7 years. For the 2016 inventory, estimates for current variables such as area, volume, and biomass are based on 2,430plot samples (2,095 forested) collected from 2011-2016. Change variables, such as net growth, removals, and mortality, are based on 1,985samples (1,659 forested) collected in 2005-2010 and resampled in 2011-2016. Estimates from earlier annual and periodic inventories are shown for comparison. See Bechtoldand Patterson (2005), Gormanson et al (2017), and O'Connell et al. (2014) for definitions and technical details.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMorin, Randall S.; Domke, Grant M.; Walters, Brian F. 2017. Forests of West Virginia, 2016. Resource Update FS-123. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 4 p. https://doi.org/10.2737/FS-RU-123
XML: View XML