Skip to Main Content
Pennsylvania forests 2014Author(s): Thomas A. Albright; William H. McWilliams; Richard H. Widmann; Brett J. Butler; Susan J. Crocker; Cassandra M. Kurtz; Shawn Lehman; Tonya W. Lister; Patrick D. Miles; Randall S. Morin; Rachel Riemann; James E. Smith
Source: Resour. Bull. NRS-111. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 140 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (10.0 MB)
DescriptionThis report summarizes the third cycle of annualized inventory of Pennsylvania with field data collected from 2009 through 2014. Pennsylvania has 16.9 million acres of forest land dominated by sawtimber stands of oak/hickory and maple/beech/birch forest-type groups. Volumes continue to increase as the forests age with an average of 2,244 cubic feet per acre on timberland. Sawtimber volume has risen 24 percent in 10 years to 115 billion board feet. Net growth outpaced removals by a ratio of 2.4:1 on timberland. Additional information on land-use change, fragmentation, ownership, forest composition, structure and age distribution, carbon stocks, regeneration, invasive plants, insect pests, and wood products is also presented. Sets of supplemental tables are available online at https://doi.org/10.2737/NRS-RB-111 and contain: 1) tables that summarize quality assurance and 2) a core set of tabular estimates for a variety of forest resources.
On September 6, 2017, the text on page 85 and figure 62A on page 87 were updated.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAlbright, Thomas A.; McWilliams, William H.; Widmann, Richard H.; Butler, Brett J.; Crocker, Susan J.; Kurtz, Cassandra M.; Lehman, Shawn; Lister, Tonya W.; Miles, Patrick D.; Morin, Randall S.; Riemann, Rachel; Smith, James E. 2017. Pennsylvania forests 2014. Resour. Bull. NRS-111. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 140 p.
Keywordsinventory, land use, fragmentation, forest statistics, forest land, timberland, forest ownership, forest regeneration, volume, carbon, growth, removals, mortality, forest health, timber products, forest pests, invasive plants, Pennsylvania
XML: View XML