Skip to Main Content
Energy harvesting from wood floor vibration using a piezoelectric generatorAuthor(s): Jiangming Kan; Robert J. Ross; Xiping Wang; Wenbin Li
Source: Research Note, FPL–RN–0347. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory. 9 p.
Publication Series: Research Note (RN)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionVibration can occur in wood floor systems as a consequence of a variety of human activities, ranging from common daily movements associated with individuals living in homes to high-intensity activities associated with sporting events that are held in large sports arenas. For example, the potential for harvesting energy from a wooden floor system in public buildings during daily rush hours could be substantial. In this pilot study, an energy harvesting system was developed to investigate the feasibility of harvesting energy from a vibrating wooden floor system. The purpose of this publication is to provide a summary of the experimental technique we developed and to present data obtained from its use.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKan, Jiangming; Ross, Robert J.; Wang, Xiping; Li, Wenbin. 2017. Energy harvesting from wood floor vibration using a piezoelectric generator. Research Note, FPL–RN–0347. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory. 9 p.
KeywordsEnergy harvesting, piezoelectric property, vibration, wood floor systems
- The consequences of trampling disturbance in two vegetation types at the Wyoming Nature Conservancy's Sweetwater River project area
- Monitoring air quality in Southeast Alaska’s National Parks and Forests: Linking atmospheric pollutants with ecological effects
- Ecosystem services from forested landscapes: an overview
XML: View XML