Skip to Main Content
Efficacy of SPLAT® Verb for protecting individual Pinus contorta, Pinus ponderosa, and Pinus lambertiana from mortality attributed to Dendroctonus ponderosaeAuthor(s): Chris Fettig; Brytten Steed; Beverly Bulaon; Leif Mortenson; Robert Progar; Clifford Bradley; Steven Munson; Agenor Mafra-Neto
Source: Journal of the Entomological Society of British Columbia. 113: 11-20
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (204.0 KB)
DescriptionVerbenone (4,6,6-trimethylbicyclo[3.1.1]hept-3-en-2-one) is an antiaggregant of the mountain pine beetle, Dendroctonus ponderosae Hopkins (Coleoptera: Curculionidae, Scolytinae), the most notable forest insect pest in western North America. Several formulations are registered for tree protection, but efficacy is often inconsistent. We evaluated the efficacy of a newly registered formulation of (–)-verbenone (SPLAT® Verb, ISCA Technologies Inc., Riverside, CA, USA) for protecting individual lodgepole pines, Pinus contorta Dougl. ex Loud, ponderosa pines, P. ponderosa Dougl. ex Laws., and sugar pines, P. lambertiana Dougl., from mortality attributed to D. ponderosae. Rather than a single release device, SPLAT® Verb is a flowable emulsion that allows the user to adjust the size of each release point (dollop) according to desired rates and distributions. SPLAT® Verb applied at 7.0 g of (−)-verbenone/tree as four equally sized dollops to the tree bole was effective for protecting P. contorta, but not P. ponderosa. In P. lambertiana, 4.0, 7.0, and 10.0 g of (−)-verbenone/tree were effective. We discuss the implications of these and other results to the management of D. ponderosae.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFettig, Christopher J.; Steed, Brytten E.; Bulaon, Beverly M.; Mortenson, Leif A.; Progar, Robert A.; Bradley, Clifford A.; Munson, A. Steven; Mafra-Neto, Agenor. 2016. Efficacy of SPLAT® Verb for protecting individual Pinus contorta, Pinus ponderosa, and Pinus lambertiana from mortality attributed to Dendroctonus ponderosae. Journal of the Entomological Society of British Columbia. 113: 11-20.
Keywordsmountain pine beetle, Scolytinae, semiochemicals, tree protection, verbenone
- A novel semiochemical tool for protecting Pinus contorta from mortality attributed to Dendroctonus ponderosae (Coleoptera: Curculionidae)
- Evaluating doses of SPLAT® verb to protect lodgepole pine trees and stands from mountain pine beetle
- Five-year operational trial of verbenone to deter mountain pine beetle (Dendroctonus ponderosae); Coleoptera: Scolytidae) attack of lodgepole pine (Pinus contorta).
XML: View XML