Skip to Main Content
Mapping wilderness character in Denali National Park and PreserveAuthor(s): Rob Burrows; James Tricker; Dan Abbe; Peter Landres; Jon Paynter; David Schirokauer; Philip Hooge
Source: Natural Resource Report NPS/DENA/NRR-2016/1223. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service, Natural Resource Stewardship and Science. 106 p.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (3.0 MB)
DescriptionThe recent development of an interagency strategy to monitor wilderness character allows on-the-ground managers and decision-makers to assess whether stewardship actions for an individual wilderness are fulfilling the legislative mandate to "preserve wilderness character." By using credible data that are consistently collected, one can assess how wilderness character changes over time and evaluate how stewardship actions affect trends in wilderness character. As most of these data depict spatial or geographic features in wilderness, a Geographic Information System (GIS) -based approach was developed to identify the state of wilderness character for the designated and eligible wilderness in Denali National Park and Preserve (DENA).
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBurrows, Rob; Tricker, James; Abbe, Dan; Landres, Peter; Paynter, Jon; Schirokauer, David; Hooge, Philip. 2016. Mapping wilderness character in Denali National Park and Preserve. Natural Resource Report NPS/DENA/NRR-2016/1223. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service, Natural Resource Stewardship and Science. 106 p.
Keywordswilderness character, stewardship, Denali National Park and Preserve (DENA)
- Monitoring selected conditions related to wilderness character: a national framework
- Mapping wilderness character: New tools for new concepts
- Technical guide for monitoring selected conditions related to wilderness character
XML: View XML