Skip to Main Content
A global index for mapping the exposure of water resources to wildfireAuthor(s): Francois-Nicolas Robinne; Carol Miller; Marc-Andre Parisien; Monica B. Emelko; Kevin D. Bladon; Uldis Silins; Mike Flannigan
Source: Forests. 7(1): 22.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
View PDF (6.0 MB)
DescriptionWildfires are keystone components of natural disturbance regimes that maintain ecosystem structure and functions, such as the hydrological cycle, in many parts of the world. Consequently, critical surface freshwater resources can be exposed to post-fire effects disrupting their quantity, quality and regularity. Although well studied at the local scale, the potential extent of these effects has not been examined at the global scale. We take the first step toward a global assessment of the wildfire water risk (WWR) by presenting a spatially explicit index of exposure. Several variables related to fire activity and water availability were identified and normalized for use as exposure indicators. Additive aggregation of those indicators was then carried out according to their individual weight. The resulting index shows the greatest exposure risk in the tropical wet and dry forests. Intermediate exposure is indicated in mountain ranges and dry shrublands, whereas the lowest index scores are mostly associated with high latitudes. We believe that such an approach can provide important insights for water security by guiding global freshwater resource preservation.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRobinne, Francois-Nicolas; Miller, Carol; Parisien, Marc-Andre; Emelko, Monica B.; Bladon, Kevin D.; Silins, Uldis; Flannigan, Mike. 2016. A global index for mapping the exposure of water resources to wildfire. Forests. 7(1): 22.
Keywordswildfire water risk, global index, wildfire hazard, water security, water resources exposure
- A spatial evaluation of global wildfire-water risks to human and natural systems
- Reframing the challenge of global wildfire threats to water supplies
- Assessing watershed-wildfire risks on National Forest System lands in the Rocky Mountain Region of the United States
XML: View XML