Skip to Main Content
Forests of Indiana, 2016Author(s): Dale D. Gormanson; Cassandra M. Kurtz
Source: Resource Update FS-127. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 4 p.
Publication Series: Resource Update (RU)
Download Publication (889.0 KB)
DescriptionThis resource update provides an overview of forest resources in Indiana based on an inventory conducted by the U.S. Forest Service, Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program at the Northern Research Station in cooperation with the Indiana Department of Natural Resources. Estimates are based on field data collected using the FIA annualized strategic sample design and are updated yearly. The current 2011-2016 sample set consists of 5,381 plots with 1,372 of them being forested or partially forested. In 2014, NRS-FIA changed to a 7-year inventory cycle, wherein 1/7th (14.3 percent) of the plots will be measured annually until 2020.This report includes inventory years 2011-2016 (2016) with comparisons made to 2007-2011 (2011). Data used in this publication were accessed from the FIA database in May 2017. See Bechtoldand Patterson (2005), O'Connell et al. (2017), and Gormanson et al. (2017) for definitions and technical details. FIA estimates, tabular data, and maps may be generated at http://www.fia.fs.fed.us/tools-data/. For more information about the FIA program visit the links on page 4 of this resource update.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGormanson, Dale D.; Kurtz, Cassandra M. 2017. Forests of Indiana, 2016. Resource Update FS-127. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 4 p.
XML: View XML