Skip to Main Content
If we transform the landfill, will they come? Predicting visitation to Freshkills Park in New York CityAuthor(s): David B. Klenosky; Stephanie A. Snyder; Christine A. Vogt; Lindsay K. Campbell
Source: Landscape and Urban Planning
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionEfforts are underway to transform the former Fresh Kills Landfill in Staten Island (SI), NY into Freshkills Park (FKP). Data from a mail survey of 1006 SI residents were used to examine the impact of factors that might facilitate or inhibit intentions to visit FKP once it opens to the public. Facilitators significantly impacting intentions included proximity, past visitation to other SI parks, and familiarity with the FKP site when it was an active landfill. Variables representing likely use of recreational facilities or programs and the presence of children in the household were not significant. Inhibitors significantly impacting intentions included lack of trust in the government agencies managing the development of FKP and health risk concerns. The pattern of results, along with responses to open-end survey questions, suggests that SI residents are curious and are likely to visit FKP at least once. The challenge for park planners and administrators will be to garner this initial curiosity and cultivate repeat visitation and long-term loyalty.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKlenosky, David B.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Vogt, Christine A.; Campbell, Lindsay K. 2017. If we transform the landfill, will they come? Predicting visitation to Freshkills Park in New York City. Landscape and Urban Planning. 167: 315-324. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2017.07.011.
KeywordsBrownfield and landfill transformation, Urban green space and park development, Visitation facilitators and inhibitors, Environmental disamenity, Outdoor recreation
- Differential campsite pricing and campground attendance
- Predictors of Return Visits to Trails with Self-Guided Materials for Children
- Resident perceptions of Vermont State Parks
XML: View XML