Comparison of Past, Present, and Future Volume Estimation Methods for TennesseeAuthor(s): Stanley J. Zarnoch; Alexander Clark; Ray A. Souter
Source: Res. Note SE-12. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southeastern Forest Experiment Station. 8 p.
Publication Series: Research Note (RN)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (38 KB)
DescriptionForest Inventory and Analysis 1999 survey data for Tennessee were used to compare stem-volume estimates obtained using a previous method, the current method, and newly developed taper models that will be used in the future. Compared to the current method, individual tree volumes were consistently underestimated with the previous method, especially for the hardwoods. The taper models produced estimates very similar to the current method for both hardwoods and softwoods. When expanded to a statewide basis, the previous method differed from the current by -2.128 by 109 cubic feet, which represents an 8.16-percent underestimate. Hardwoods again were more severely underestimated than softwoods. Conversely, results from the taper method deviated only 0.230 by 109 cubic feet from the current method, or 0.88 percent, which is of little concern.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationZarnoch, Stanley J.; Clark, Alexander, III; Souter, Ray A. 2003. Comparison of Past, Present, and Future Volume Estimation Methods for Tennessee. Res. Note SE-12. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southeastern Forest Experiment Station. 8 p.
KeywordsFIA, taper equations, volume
- Estimating the board foot to cubic foot ratio
- Forest statistics for the Southern Mountains of Virginia, 1992
- Forest statistics for North-Central Alabama counties - 1990
XML: View XML