Skip to Main Content
A revised family-level classification of the Polyporales (Basidiomycota)Author(s): Alfredo Justo; Otto Miettinen; Dimitrios Floudas; Beatriz Ortiz-Santana; Elisabet Sjökvist; Daniel Lindner; Karen Nakasone; Tuomo Niemelä; Karl-Henrik Larsson; Leif Ryvarden; David S. Hibbett
Source: Fungal Biology
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionPolyporales is strongly supported as a clade of Agaricomycetes, but the lack of a consensus higher-level classification within the group is a barrier to further taxonomic revision. We amplified nrLSU, nrITS, and rpb1 genes across the Polyporales, with a special focus on the latter. We combined the new sequences with molecular data generated during the PolyPEET project and performed Maximum Likelihood and Bayesian phylogenetic analyses. Analyses of our final 3-gene dataset (292 Polyporales taxa) provide a phylogenetic overview of the order that we translate here into a formal family-level classification. Eighteen clades are assigned a family name, including three families described as new (Cerrenaceae fam. nov., Gelatoporiaceae fam. nov., Panaceae fam. nov.) and fifteen others (Dacryobolaceae, Fomitopsidaceae, Grifolaceae, Hyphodermataceae, Incrustoporiaceae, Irpicaceae, Ischnodermataceae, Laetiporaceae, Meripilaceae, Meruliaceae, Phanerochaetaceae, Podoscyphaceae, Polyporaceae, Sparassidaceae, Steccherinaceae). Three clades are given informal names (/hypochnicium,/climacocystis and/fibroporia + amyloporia). Four taxa (Candelabrochete africana, Mycoleptodonoides vassiljevae, Auriporia aurea, and Tyromyces merulinus) cannot be assigned to a family within the Polyporales. The classification proposed here provides a framework for further taxonomic revision and will facilitate communication among applied and basic scientists. A survey of morphological, anatomical, physiological, and genetic traits confirms the plasticity of characters previously emphasized in taxonomy of Polyporales.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationJusto, Alfredo; Miettinen, Otto; Floudas, Dimitrios; Ortiz-Santana, Beatriz; Sjökvist, Elisabet; Lindner, Daniel; Nakasone, Karen; Niemelä, Tuomo; Larsson, Karl-Henrik; Ryvarden, Leif; Hibbett, David S. 2017. A revised family-level classification of the Polyporales (Basidiomycota). Fungal Biology. 121(9): 798-824. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.funbio.2017.05.010.
KeywordsAgaricomycetes, Family-level taxonomy, Phylogeny, PolyPEET, rpb1
- Deconstructing the Tricholomataceae (Agaricales) and introduction of the new genera Albomagister, Corneriella, Pogonoloma and Pseudotricholoma
- Molecular phylogeny, morphology, pigment chemistry and ecology in Hygrophoraceae (Agaricales)
- Taxonomy and phylogeny of Lopharia s.s., Dendrodontia, Dentocorticium and Fuscocerrena (Basidiomycota, Polyporales)
XML: View XML