Skip to Main Content
Chapter 9: Wood EnergyAuthor(s): Francisco X. Aguilar; Karen Abt; Branko Glavonjic; Eugene Lopatin; Warren Mabee
Source: UNECE/FAO publication ECE/TIM/SP/40
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (207.0 KB)
DescriptionThe availabilty of information on wood energy continues to improve, particularly for commoditized woodfuels. Wood energy consumption and production vary in the UNECE region because demand is strngly affected by weather and the prices of competing energy sources. There has been an increase in wood energy in the power-and-heat sector in the EU28 and North American subregions in the last en year, with prospects for a similar trend in the CIS. The implementation of renewable energy targets and financial incentive programmes, and improvements in energy conversion efficiency, has helped drive this trend. Across the UNECE region, other factors influencing wood energy markets include requirements to address bioenergy sustainability and the role of wood energy in reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. Programmes developed to ensure standardized wood pellet quality and sustainability exemplify proactive multistakeholder efforts to deal with these potential concerns. Government action requiring the certification/verification of wood-fibre sources, the establishment of GHG accounting frameworks, and updated renewable energy targets can significantly influence commoditized wood energy markets.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAguilar, Francisco X.; Abt, Karen ; Glavonjic, Branko; Lopatin, Eugene; Mabee, Warren. 2016. Chapter 9: Wood Energy. Forest Products Annual Market Review 2015-2016. Chapter 9 Wood energy. UNECE/FAO publication ECE/TIM/SP/40.
- Chapter 11: housing and construction
- Wood energy markets, 2011-2012
- Chapter 8: Estimating net greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from wood energy use; Issues and the current state of knowledge
XML: View XML