Skip to Main Content
Bulked segregant analysis identifies molecular markers linked to Melampsora medusae resistance in Populus deltoidesAuthor(s): G. M. Tabor; Thomas L. Kubisiak; N. B. Klopfenstein; R. B. Hall; Henry S. McNabb
Source: Phytopathology. 90: 1039-1042.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (157.74 KB)
DescriptionIn the north central United States, leaf rust caused by Melampsora medusae is a major disease problem on Populus deltoides. In this study we identified molecular markers linked to a M. medusae resistance locus (Lrd1) that was segregating 1:1 within an intraspecific P. deltoides family (C9425DD). Previous field results were contiied in the controlled environment of a growth chamber through an excised whole-leaf inoculation method. Using bulked segregant analysis we identified two random amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD) markers (OPG10340 and OPZ191800 that are linked to Lrd1. Based on segregation in a total of 116 progeny, the genetic distances between OPG10340 and OPZ191800 and the resistance locus were estimated as 2.6 and 7.4 Haldane centimorgans (cM), respectively. Multipoint linkage analyses strongly suggest the most likely order for these loci is Lrd1, OPG10340 and OPZ191800. These markers may prove to be instrumental in the eventual cloning of Lrd1, as well as for marker-assisted selection of leaf-rust resistant genotypes.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationTabor, G. M.; Kubisiak, Thomas L.; Klopfenstein, N. B.; Hall, R. B.; McNabb, Henry S., Jr. 2000. Bulked segregant analysis identifies molecular markers linked to Melampsora medusae resistance in Populus deltoides. Phytopathology. 90: 1039-1042.
Keywordsintraspecific hybrids, polymerase chain reaction, resistance genes
- Inheritance of compartmentalization of wounds in sweetgum (Liquidambar styraciflua L.) and eastern cottonwood (Populus deltoides Bartr.)
- Economics of Afforestation with Eastern Cottonwood (Populus Deltoides) of Agricultural Land in the Lower Mississippi Alluvial Valley
- Effects of light regime and IBA concentration on adventitious rooting of an eastern cottonwood (Populus deltoides) clone
XML: View XML