Skip to Main Content
Forests of Maine, 2016Author(s): Brett J. Butler
Source: Resource Update FS-128. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 4 p.
Publication Series: Resource Update (RU)
Download Publication (415.0 KB)
DescriptionThis publication provides an overview of the forest resources in Maine based upon inventories conducted by the U.S. Forest Service, Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program of the Northern Research Station. Information about the national and regional FIA program is available online at www.fia.fs.fed.us. Since 1999, FIA has implemented an annual inventory measuring 20 percent of sample plots each year. For the 2016 inventory, estimates for current variables, such as area, volume, and biomass, are based on 3,527 plots inventoried from 2012–2016. Change variables, such as net growth, removals, and mortality, are based on 3,490 plots inventoried in 2007–2011 and resampled in 2012–2016. Estimates from earlier annual and periodic inventories are included for comparison. See Bechtold and Patterson (2005), Gormanson et al. (2017), and O'Connell et al. (2017) for definitions and technical details.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationButler, Brett J. 2017. Forests of Maine, 2016. Resource Update FS-128. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 4 p. https://doi.org/10.2737/FS-RU-128.
XML: View XML