Skip to Main Content
Structure, composition and regeneration of riparian forest along an altitudinal gradient in northern IranAuthor(s): Mohammad Naghi Adel; Hassan Pourbabaei; Ali Salehi; Seyed Jalil Alavi; Daniel C. Dey
Source: Folia Geobotanica
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (1.0 MB)
DescriptionIn order to protect and understand the regeneration of riparian forests, it is important to understand the environmental conditions that lead to their vegetation differentiation. We evaluated the structure, composition, density and regeneration of woody species in forests along the river Safaroud in Ramsar forest in northern Iran in relation to elevation, soil properties and distance from the river. Using 60 transects located perpendicularly to river and 300 quadrats, we examined forests 0, 50, 100, 150 and 200 m from the stream along an elevation gradient spanning from 350 to 2,400 m a.s.l. We found that total density, regeneration, diameter and basal area of trees were significantly higher in the interior of the forest whereas shrub density was higher close to the river. The uneven-aged forest structure showed no significant differences among gradient from the river to the forest interior. Hydro-geomorphic processes, flooding, the elevation gradient, distance from the river and soil properties were the most important factors that influenced plant community distribution in relation to the river.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAdel, Mohammad Naghi; Pourbabaei, Hassan; Salehi, Ali; Alavi, Seyed Jalil; Dey, Daniel C. 2018. Structure, composition and regeneration of riparian forest along an altitudinal gradient in northern Iran. Folia Geobotanica. 53(1): 63-75. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12224-016-9272-x.
KeywordsFlooding, Multivariate analysis, Northern Iran, Plant community distribution, Soil properties, Structure
- Patterns of conifer regeneration following high severity wildfire in ponderosa pine - dominated forests of the Colorado Front Range
- Processes at multiple scales affect richness and similarity of non-native plant species in mountains around the world
- Phylogenetic diversity of macromycetes and woody plants along an elevational gradient in Eastern Mexico
XML: View XML