Skip to Main Content
Painting a picture across the landscape with ModelMapAuthor(s): Brian Cooke; Elizabeth Freeman; Gretchen Moisen; Tracey Frescino
Source: Science You Can Use Bulletin, Issue 26. Fort Collins, CO: Rocky Mountain Research Station. 9 p.
Publication Series: Science Bulletins and Newsletters
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (4.0 MB)
DescriptionScientists and statisticians working for the Rocky Mountain Research Station have created a software package that simplifies and automates many of the processes needed for converting models into maps. This software package, called ModelMap, has helped a variety of specialists and land managers to quickly convert data into easily understood graphical images. The software package also includes methods to test for accuracy. A true product of the information age, ModelMap combines many existing programming tool packages to streamline creation of sophisticated models from diverse data sources, ranging from field visits to satellite information gathered over the past several decades. ModelMap use cases have ranged from forest cover and biomass to invasive plants and endangered species habitat. ModelMap can be installed from within the basic R platform or from within R Studio. Additional information can be found at https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/ModelMap/index.html.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCooke, Brian; Freeman, Elizabeth; Moisen, Gretchen; Frescino,Tracey. 2017. Painting a picture across the landscape with ModelMap. Science You Can Use Bulletin, Issue 26. Fort Collins, CO: Rocky Mountain Research Station. 9 p.
KeywordsModelMap, Forest Inventory and Analysis, modeling, R programming, management
- A System for Drawing Synthetic Images of Forested Landscapes
- yaImpute: An R package for kNN imputation
- Probabilistic commodity-flow-based focusing of monitoring activities to facilitate early detection of Phytophthora ramorum outbreaks
XML: View XML