Skip to Main Content
A prototype system for multilingual data discovery of International Long-Term Ecological Research (ILTER) Network dataAuthor(s): Kristin Vanderbilt; John H. Porter; Sheng-Shan Lu; Nic Bertrand; David Blankman; Xuebing Guo; Honglin He; Don Henshaw; Karpjoo Jeong; Eun-Shik Kim; Chau-Chin Lin; Margaret O'Brien; Takeshi Osawa; Éamonn Ó Tuama; Wen Su; Haibo Yang
Source: Ecological Informatics. 40: 93-101.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionShared ecological data have the potential to revolutionize ecological research just as shared genetic sequence data have done for biological research. However, for ecological data to be useful, it must first be discoverable. A broad-scale research topic may require that a researcher be able to locate suitable data from a variety of global, regional and national data providers, which often use different local languages to describe their data. Thus, one of the challenges of international sharing of long-term data is facilitation of multilingual searches. Such searches are hindered by lack of equivalent terms across languages and by uneven application of keywords in ecological metadata. To test whether a thesaurus-based approach to multilingual data searching might be effective, we implemented a prototype web-services-based system for searching International Long-Term Ecological Research Network data repositories. The system builds on the use of a multilingual thesaurus to make searches more complete than would be obtained through search term-translation alone. The resulting system, when coupled to commodity online translation systems, demonstrates the possibility of achieving multilingual searches for ecological data.
- Visit PNW's Publication Request Page to request a hard copy of this publication.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationVanderbilt, Kristin; Porter, John H.; Lu, Sheng-Shan; Bertrand, Nic; Blankman, David; Guo, Xuebing; He, Honglin; Henshaw, Don; Jeong, Karpjoo; Kim, Eun-Shik; Lin, Chau-Chin; O'Brien, Margaret; Osawa, Takeshi; Ó Tuama, Éamonn; Su, Wen; Yang, Haibo. 2017. A prototype system for multilingual data discovery of International Long-Term Ecological Research (ILTER) Network data. Ecological Informatics. 40: 93-101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoinf.2016.11.011.
KeywordsThesaurus, ontology, data sharing, translation, web services.
- The open research system: a web-based metadata and data repository for collaborative research
- Terms used in invertebrate pathology in five languages: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish.
- Data management for urban tree monitoring -- software requirements
XML: View XML