Effect of steam during Fischer–Tropsch Synthesis using biomass-derived syngasAuthor(s): Zi Wang; Khiet Mai; Nitin Kumar; Thomas Elder; Leslie H. Groom; James J. Spivey
Source: Catalysis Letters
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionFischer–Tropsch synthesis (FTS) with biomass- derived syngas was performed using both iron-based 100Fe/6Cu/4K/25Al catalyst and ruthenium-based 5 % Ru/SiO2 catalyst. During FTS, different concentrations of steam were co-fed with the biomass-derived syngas to promote the water gas shift reaction and increase the H2/ CO ratio. On Fe-based catalysts the increase in steam concentration led to lower conversion, while deactivation is not observed on Ru-based catalysts. XRD of the spent iron-based catalyst showed the oxidation of iron carbides. Adding steam inhibited surface carbon deposition, as measured by temperature programmed hydrogenation. The iron carbide phase could be re-carburized by flowing CO. The addition of steam had different effects on these two catalysts. Fe-based catalyst showed significantly lower methane selectivity and greater C5+ hydrocarbon selectivity, while on the Ru-based catalyst, adding steam only showed slightly decreased methane selectivity.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWang, Zi; Mai, Khiet; Kumar, Nitin; Elder, Thomas; Groom, Leslie H.; Spivey, James J. 2017. Effect of steam during Fischer–Tropsch Synthesis using biomass-derived syngas. Catalysis Letters. 147(1): 62-70. 9 p. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10562-016-1881-8.
- Effect of structural promoters on Fe-based Fischer-Tropsch synthesis of biomass derived syngas
- Fe-based Fischer Tropsch Synthesis of biomass-derived syngas: Effect of synthesis method
- Deactivation of Co-Schiff base catalysts in the oxidation of para -substituted lignin models for the production of benzoquinones
XML: View XML