Skip to Main Content
Assessing the impact of wood decay fungi on the modulus of elasticity of slash pine (Pinus elliottii) by stress wave non-destructive testingAuthor(s): Zhong Yang; Zhehui Jiang; Chung Y. Hse; Ru Liu
Source: International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (795.0 KB)
DescriptionSmall wood specimens selected from six slash pine (Pinus elliottii) trees were inoculated with brown-rot and white-rot fungi and then evaluated for static modulus of elasticity (MOE) and dynamic MOE (MOEsw). The experimental variables studied included a brown-rot fungus (Gloeophyllum trabeum) and a white-rot fungus (Trametes versicolor) for six exposure periods (2, 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12 weeks). The MOEsw was tested by a stress wave timer prior to static bending and the results were compared via regression analyses. Regression analyses indicated good correlations between static MOE and MOEsw. The R2 ranged from 0.66 to 0.80 for non-decayed, brown-rot, white-rot, and all the specimens.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationYang, Zhong; Jiang, Zhehui; Hse, Chung Y.; Liu, Ru. 2017. Assessing the impact of wood decay fungi on the modulus of elasticity of slash pine (Pinus elliottii) by stress wave non-destructive testing. International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation. 117: 123-127. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ibiod.2016.12.003.
KeywordsBiological decay, Slash pine (Pinus elliottii) wood, Dynamic evaluation, Modulus of elasticity, Stress wave
- Slash Pine (Pinus Elliottii), Including South Florida Slash Pine: Nomenclature and Description
- Range of South Florida slash pine
- Parameterization of the 3-PG model for Pinus elliottii stands using alternative methods to estimate fertility rating, biomass partitioning and canopy closure
XML: View XML