Skip to Main Content
Process optimisation of microwave-assisted extraction of peony ( Paeonia suffruticosa Andr .) seed oil using hexane-ethanol mixture and its characterisationAuthor(s): Xiaoli Sun; Wengang Li; Jian Li; Yuangang Zu; Chung-Yun Hse; Jiulong Xie; Xiuhua Zhao
Source: International Journal of Food Science & Technology
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (912.0 KB)
DescriptionEthanol and hexane mixture agent microwave-assisted extraction (MAE) method was conducted to extract peony (Paeonia suffruticosa Andr.) seed oil (PSO). The aim of the study was to optimise the extraction for both yield and energy consumption in mixture agent MAE. The highest oil yield (34.49%) and lowest unit energy consumption (14 125.4 J g -1) were obtained under optimum extraction condition: solid-liquid ratio 0.37 g mL -1, extraction time 3.72 min, extraction temperature 80.92 °C, ethanol ratio 20.00%. GC–MS results showed that unsaturated fatty acids (UFAs) accounted for 88.60% of total fatty acids in PSO. Moreover, linolenic acid content of 37.35% was the highest UFA and caused PSO to possess good nutrition. PSO in DPPH radical scavenging experiment showed that IC50 value of 28.80 ± 2.13 mg mL -1 exhibited strong antioxidant property. All experiments proved that mixed solvent MAE is an efficient and promising method to extract PSO. This method can effectively reduce the energy consumption and extraction time.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSun, Xiaoli; Li, Wengang; Li, Jian; Zu, Yuangang; Hse, Chung-Yun; Xie, Jiulong; Zhao, Xiuhua. 2016. Process optimisation of microwave-assisted extraction of peony ( Paeonia suffruticosa Andr .) seed oil using hexane-ethanol mixture and its characterisation . International Journal of Food Science & Technology. 51(12): 2663-2673. 11 p. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijfs.13255.
KeywordsAntioxidant activities, fatty acid compositions, microwave-assisted extraction, mixture solvent extraction, peony seed oil, physicochemical properties
- Extraction and characterization of seed oil from naturally-grown Chinese tallow trees
- Synergistic effect of heartwood extracts in combination with linseed oil as wood preservatives against subterranean termite Heterotermes indicola (Blattodea: Rhinotermitidae)
- Finding Brown's peony a sweet attraction
XML: View XML