Skip to Main Content
Thermal decomposition characteristics of microwave liquefied rape straw residues using thermogravimetric analysisAuthor(s): Xingyan Huang; Cornelis F. De Hoop; Jiulong Xie; Chung-Yun Hse; Jinqiu Qi; Yuzhu Chen; Feng Li
Source: Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionThe thermal decomposition characteristics of microwave liquefied rape straw residues with respect to liquefaction condition and pyrolysis conversion were investigated using a thermogravimetric (TG) analyzer at the heating rates of 5, 20, 50 °C min-1. The hemicellulose decomposition peak was absent at the derivative thermogravimetric analysis (DTG) curve of liquefied residues, because it had been decomposed during the liquefaction. Furthermore, among the liquefied residues, the one from the reaction condition of 180 °C/15 min had the highest thermal stability under a high temperature (>700 °C). The DTG profiles revealed that raising the temperature heating rate could result in an increase in the maximum decomposition temperature. The apparent activation energy (Ea) values of the liquefied residues were lower than that of non-liquefied raw rape straw, whereas the recondensation reaction occurred at 180 °C/15 min remarkably increased the Ea. A noticeable increase in the Ea was observed for the liquefied residue from the 180 °C/10 min samples as the pyrolysis conversion increased from 0.15 to 0.55, suggesting a complex decomposition process with the increasing pyrolysis temperature. The liquefaction process could decrease the thermal decomposition temperature of biomass, which means higher reactivity and lower operational costs during pyrolysis.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHuang, Xingyan; De Hoop, Cornelis F.; Xie, Jiulong; Hse, Chung-Yun; Qi, Jinqiu; Chen, Yuzhu; Li, Feng. 2017. Thermal decomposition characteristics of microwave liquefied rape straw residues using thermogravimetric analysis. Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry. 18(1): 3124-.3131. 8 p.
KeywordsThermogravimetry, Liquefied residue, Rape straw, Microwave
- Microwave-assisted liquefaction of rape straw for the production of bio-oils
- Dilute alkali and hydrogen peroxide treatment of microwave liquefied rape straw residue for the extraction of cellulose nanocrystals
- Production of ethanol from livestock, agricultural, and forest residuals: an economic feasibility study
XML: View XML