Skip to Main Content
Dilute alkali and hydrogen peroxide treatment of microwave liquefied rape straw residue for the extraction of cellulose nanocrystalsAuthor(s): Xingyan Huang; Cornelis F. De Hoop; Feng Li; Jiulong Xie; Chung-Yun Hse; Jinqiu Qi; Yongze Jiang; Yuzhu Chen
Source: Journal of Nanomaterials
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (3.0 MB)
DescriptionMicrowave-assisted liquefaction of rape straw in methanol was conducted to collect the liquefied residues for the extraction of cellulose nanocrystals (CNCs).The liquefied residue with content of 23.44% from 180∘C/7.5 min was used to fibrillate CNCs with dilute alkali (2% NaOH) and hydrogen peroxide (5% H2O2) treatments, followed by ultrasonication for 15 min. The FT-IR spectra and SEM images revealed that the liquefied residue from 180∘C/7.5 min exhibited a relatively homogeneous texture and a huge surface with cellulose as core structure.The retained hemicelluloses and other impurities in the liquefied residue were eliminated by 2% NaOH treatment, and the surface and accessibility of the alkali treated sample were significantly increased by 5% H2O2 treatment. The TEM images confirmed the CNCs had an average diameter of 12.59 nm. The CNCs had good thermal stability with a maximum weight loss temperature of 376.5∘C.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHuang, Xingyan; De Hoop, Cornelis F.; Li, Feng; Xie, Jiulong; Hse, Chung-Yun; Qi, Jinqiu; Jiang, Yongze; Chen, Yuzhu. 2017. Dilute alkali and hydrogen peroxide treatment of microwave liquefied rape straw residue for the extraction of cellulose nanocrystals. Journal of Nanomaterials. 2017: 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/4049061.
- Thermal decomposition characteristics of microwave liquefied rape straw residues using thermogravimetric analysis
- Microwave-assisted liquefaction of rape straw for the production of bio-oils
- Property values, parks, and crime: a hedonic analysis in Baltimore, MD
XML: View XML