Skip to Main Content
Microwave-assisted liquefaction of rape straw for the production of bio-oilsAuthor(s): Xing-Yan Huang; Feng Li; Jiu-Long Xie; Cornelis F. De Hoop; Chung-Yun Hse; Jin-Qiu Qi; Hui Xiao
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionThe acid-catalyzed liquefaction of rape straw in methanol using microwave energy was examined. Conversion yield and energy consumption were evaluated to profile the microwave-assisted liquefaction process. Chemical components of the bio-oils from various liquefaction conditions were identified. A higher reaction temperature was found to be beneficial to obtain higher energy consumption efficiency as heated by microwaves. Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy of the bio-oils indicated that hydroxyl groups underwent oxidation with increasing liquefaction temperature and/or prolonged reaction time; methanol esterification of oxidation products was also observed during the liquefaction process. The GC-MS chromatograms indicated that the further decomposition of C5 and C6 sugars resulted in a remarkable reduction of hydroxyl group products and an apparent increase in levulinic ester; furan derivatives and succinic acid derivatives were increased as well. The chemical reactions in liquefaction for the production of bio-oils mainly included decomposition of hemicelluloses, cellulose, and lignin; the oxidation reactions of the hydroxyl groups and methanol esterification were also presented. Comprehensively, a high content of hydroxyl group products was obtained at a moderate liquefaction condition (140 °C/15 min), and a high yield of levulinic ester products was acquired in severe reaction conditions (180 °C/15 min), regardless of energy consumption efficiency.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHuang, Xing-Yan; Li, Feng; Xie, Jiu-Long; De Hoop, Cornelis F.; Hse, Chung-Yun; Qi, Jin-Qiu; Xiao, Hui. 2017. Microwave-assisted liquefaction of rape straw for the production of bio-oils. BioResources. 12(1) 1968-1981. 14 p. https://doi.org/10.15376/biores.12.1.1968-1981.
KeywordsMicrowave, Liquefaction, Rape straw, Bio-oils
- Thermal decomposition characteristics of microwave liquefied rape straw residues using thermogravimetric analysis
- Dilute alkali and hydrogen peroxide treatment of microwave liquefied rape straw residue for the extraction of cellulose nanocrystals
- Production of ethanol from livestock, agricultural, and forest residuals: an economic feasibility study
XML: View XML