Skip to Main Content
In situ catalytic hydrogenation of model compounds and biomass-derived phenolic compounds for bio-oil upgradingAuthor(s): Junfeng Feng; Zhongzhi Yang; Chung-yun Hse; Qiuli Su; Kui Wang; Jianchun Jiang; Junming Xu
Source: Renewable Energy
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (830.0 KB)
DescriptionThe renewable phenolic compounds produced by directional liquefaction of biomass are a mixture of complete fragments decomposed from native lignin. These compounds are unstable and difficult to use directly as biofuel. Here, we report an efficient in situ catalytic hydrogenation method that can convert phenolic compounds into saturated cyclohexanes. The process has high potential for production of hydrocarbon transportation fuels. In the in situ catalytic hydrogenation system, phenolic compounds were converted into cyclohexanol derivatives (that can be efficiently converted into cyclohexane-hydrocarbon fuels by acid-catalyzed dehydration) with a conversion yield 98.22 wt% under mild conditions (220 C for 7 h with Raney Ni). The in situ catalytic hydrogenation of phenolic compounds, using methanol as a liquid hydrogen donor, was found to be superior to traditional hydrogenation using external hydrogen gas. The in situ hydrogenation of phenolic compounds was coupled with aqueous-phase reforming of methanol. The conversion of guaiacol and target product yields were significantly higher than by traditional hydrogenation.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFeng, Junfeng; Yang, Zhongzhi; Hse, Chung-yun; Su, Qiuli; Wang, Kui; Jiang, Jianchun; Xu, Junming. 2017. In situ catalytic hydrogenation of model compounds and biomass-derived phenolic compounds for bio-oil upgrading. Renewable Energy. 105: 140-148. 9 p. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2016.12.054.
KeywordsLignocellulosic biomass, Phenolic compounds, In situ hydrogenation, Hydrocarbon biofuel
- Liquid phase in situ hydrodeoxygenation of biomass-derived phenolic compounds to hydrocarbons over bifunctional catalysts
- Directional liquefaction of biomass for phenolic compounds and in situ hydrodeoxygenation upgrading of phenolics using bifunctional catalysts
- Selective catalytic conversion of waste lignocellulosic biomass for renewable value-added chemicals via directional microwave-assisted liquefaction
XML: View XML