Skip to Main Content
Effects of the Herbicide Imazapyr on Benthic Macroinvertebrates in a Logged Pond Cypress DomeAuthor(s): Mark D. Fowlkes; Jerry L. Michael; Thomas L. Crisman; Joseph P. Prenger
Source: Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 900-907, 2003.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (331 KB)
DescriptionIncreased herbicide use in silviculture over the last several decades has led to concern over potential water contamination, which may affect biotic health. In the southeastern United States, pine Ratwoods are important for timber production and are often interspersed with cypress wetlands. Cypress domes are isolated, shallow basins that collect surficial waters from adjacent forested areas and therefore might be expected to contain pesticide from storm runoff. This study utilizes in situ microcosm experiments to assess the effects of a concentration gradient of the herbicide imazapyr (0.184, 1.84, and 18.4 mg/L, equivalent to 1, 10, and 100 times the expected environmental concentration from a normal application rate) on the nracroinvertebrate community of a logged pond cypress dome using changes in macroinvertebrate composition, chironomid biomass, and chironomid head-capsule deformities. The control core was not significantly different from the surrounding cypress dome for any parameter, suggesting that enclosure effects were likely of minimal importance in the final experimental results. The lack of statistical difference (p < 0.05) in macroinvertcbrate community composition, chironomid deformity rate, and chironomid biomass between treatments suggests that imazapyr did not affect the macroinvertebrate community at Ihe concentralions tested. Chironomid deformity rate ranged from 0.97% for imazapyr control to 4.96% for the 100X treatment, with chironomid biomass being 1.79 and 1.87 mg/L, respectively.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFowlkes, Mark D.; Michael, Jerry L.; Crisman, Thomas L.; Prenger, Joseph P. 2003. Effects of the Herbicide Imazapyr on Benthic Macroinvertebrates in a Logged Pond Cypress Dome. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 900-907, 2003.
KeywordsImazapyr, Herbicide, Macroinvcrtehrates, Chironomid deformity, Wetland
- Long term results of early density management of a third growth redwood stand
- Residual tree response to tanoak decline in California
- Restoration management in redwood forests degraded by sudden oak death
XML: View XML