Skip to Main Content
Minority households’ willingness to pay for public and private wildfire risk reduction in FloridaAuthor(s): Armando González-Cabán; José J. Sánchez
Source: International Journal of Wildland Fire. 26(8): 744-753
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
View PDF (717.0 KB)
DescriptionThe purpose of this work is to estimate willingness to pay (WTP) for minority (African-American and Hispanic) homeowners in Florida for private and public wildfire risk-reduction programs and also to test for differences in response between the two groups. A random parameter logit and latent class model allowed us to determine if there is a difference in wildfire mitigation program preferences, whether WTP is higher for public or private actions for wildfire risk reduction, and whether households with personal experience and who perceive that they live in higher-risk areas have significantly higher WTP. We also compare Florida minority homeowners’ WTP values with Florida original homeowners’ estimates. Results suggest that Florida minority homeowners are willing to invest in public programs, with African-Americans WTP values at a higher rate than Hispanics. In addition, the highest priority for cost-sharing funds would go to low-income homeowners, especially to cost-share private actions on their own land. These results may help fire managers optimise allocation of scarce cost-sharing funds for public v. private actions.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGonzález-Cabán, Armando; Sánchez, José J. 2017. Minority households’ willingness to pay for public and private wildfire risk reduction in Florida. International Journal of Wildland Fire. 26(8): 744-753. https://doi.org/10.1071/WF16216.
Keywordschoice experiment, Firewise, latent class model, random parameter logit model, WUI
- Are there differences between minority households willingness-to-pay for wildfire risk reduction in Florida?
- A comparison of wildland urban interface households WTP for wildfire risk reduction programs in California and Florida
- Fire in the wildland-urban interface: Selecting and maintaining firewise plants for landscaping
XML: View XML