Skip to Main Content
Decline in the pulp and paper industry: Effects on backward-linked forest industries and local economiesAuthor(s): Consuelo Brandeis; Zhimei Guo
Source: Forest Products Journal
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (162.0 KB)
DescriptionPulp, paper, and paperboard mills consume close to 52 percent of southern roundwood, providing a signiﬁcant market to southern forest landowners. Declining numbers of pulpwood-using mills and downward trends in mill capacity, however, present a growing challenge to the southern forest sector. Shrinking mill capacity affects rural communities that depend on mill demand for labor and other production inputs. This study investigates the effect of pulp mill closures on the regional and local economy,
focusing on the spillover effects to forestry and forest products industry. Multiregional input–output models were built for two mill closures using Impact Analysis for Planning (IMPLAN) showing linkages among different sectors, households, and governments in the regional economy. Results revealed the different effects across wood procuring zones with areas displaying signiﬁcant loss in logging activity. Signiﬁcance to other forestry-related industries depended on closed mills’ inputs. We compared our results with information available in the literature regarding expected economic impact from a wood pellet mill, an alternative market for small-size wood. We expect research results will provide valuable information to policymakers and managers when addressing likely future changes in the paper manufacturing industry.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBrandeis, Consuelo; Guo, Zhimei. 2016.Decline in the pulp and paper industry: Effects on backward-linked forest industries and local economies. Forest Products Journal. 66(1-2): 113-118. https://doi.org/10.13073/FPJ-D-14-00106.
- Recession effects on the forests and forest products industries of the South.
- Recent economic downturn and pulpwood markets
- California’s forest products industry and timber harvest, 2016
XML: View XML