Skip to Main Content
Smoothly varying in-plane stiffness heterogeneity evaluated under uniaxial tensile stressAuthor(s): J.M. Considine; F. Pierron; K.T. Turner; P. Lava; X. Tang
Source: Strain. 53(5): 1-26.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
Related Research Highlights
Local stiffness variation of paperboard examined in uniaxial tension
DescriptionIdentification of spatially varying stiffness is a challenging, but important, research topic in the mechanics of materials and can provide the necessary information for material suitability, damage, and process control, especially for high‐value applications. One homogeneous and 3 heterogeneous virtual field method (VFM) formulations were used to create a methodology for varying stiffness identification. Two finite element method simulations were used to demonstrate the validity and capability of the formulations. A tensile test protocol was implemented to identify spatially varying stiffness of uniaxial tensile paperboard specimens using digital image correlation. A recently published form of VFM, which enforces global equilibrium in the spatial frequency domain, was used to better examine smoothly varying stiffnesses. Two tensile specimens of a single commercial paperboard, known to contain heterogeneities, were examined, and local stiffnesses were identified. Examination of local equilibrium with VFM was used to explain differences in stiffness identification. A polyethylene terephthalate specimen was used to demonstrate homogeneity.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationConsidine, J.M.; Pierron, F.; Turner, K.T.; Lava, P.; Tang, X. 2017. Smoothly varying in-plane stiffness heterogeneity evaluated under uniaxial tensile stress. Strain. 53(5): 1-26.
KeywordsDIC, heterogeneity, stiffness, uniaxial tension, VFM
- General Anisotropy Identification of Paperboard with Virtual Fields Method
- Use of digital image correlation to study the local deformation field of paper and paperboard
- Full-field local displacement analysis of two-sided paperboard
XML: View XML