Skip to Main Content
National Woodland Owner Survey: family forest ownerships with 1 to 9 acres, 2011-2013Author(s): Brett J. Butler; Stephanie A. Snyder
Source: Resour. Bull. NRS-114. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 9 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionThis report summarizes results from the 2011-2013 National Woodland Owner Survey (NWOS) conducted by the U.S. Forest Service, Forest Inventory and Analysis program for family forest ownerships with forest holdings of 1-9 acres. Summaries are based on responses from 1,025 family ownerships with 1-9 acres of forest across 39 U.S. states. Survey summary tables are provided for the nation and three regions (North, South, and West) and are available at https://doi.org/10.2737/NRS-RB-114. To generate reliable statistics, only the 39 states with at least five respondents are included. The survey summary tables provide statistics on general forest ownership patterns, ownership characteristics, land characteristics, reasons for owning land, land ownership history, uses of the forest land, sources of information, concerns, the future of their land, and demographics.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationButler, Brett J.; Snyder, Stephanie A. 2017. National Woodland Owner Survey: family forest ownerships with 1 to 9 acres, 2011-2013. Resour. Bull. NRS-114. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 9 p.
Keywordslandowner survey, private forest, nonindustrial private forest, small-scale forestry, United States
- USDA Forest Service National Woodland Owner Survey: national, regional, and state statistics for family forest and woodland ownerships with 10+ acres, 2011-2013
- Family Forest Owners of the United States, 2006
- Family Forest Ownerships of the United States, 2013: Findings from the USDA Forest Service's National Woodland Owner Survey
XML: View XML