Mapping the spatio-temporal evolution of irrigation in the Coastal Plain of Georgia, USAAuthor(s): Marcus D. Williams; Christie M.S. Hawley; Marguerite Madden; J. Marshall Shepherd
Source: Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (5.0 MB)
Related Research Highlights
Study maps the spatio-temporal evolution of irrigation in the Coastal Plain of Georgia
This study maps the spatial and temporal evolution of acres irrigated in the Coastal Plain of Georgia over a 38 year period. The goal of this analysis is to create a time-series of irrigated areas in the Coastal Plain of Georgia at a sub-county level. From 1976 through 2013, Landsat images were obtained and sampled at four year intervals to manually detect Center-Pivot irrigation (CPI) systems in the analysis region. During the 38 year analysis period there was a 4,500 percent increase in CPI systems detected that corresponded to an approximate 2,000 percent increase in total acreage. The bulk of the total acreage irrigated is contained in southwest Georgia, as seven counties in the region contained 38 percent of the total acreage irrigated in 2013. There was substantial growth throughout the entire Coastal Plain Region, but southwest Georgia was identified as the most heavily irrigated region of the state.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWilliams, Marcus D.; Hawley, Christie M.S.; Madden, Marguerite; Shepherd, J. Marshall. 2017. Mapping the spatio-temporal evolution of irrigation in the Coastal Plain of Georgia, USA. Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing. 83(1): 57-67. 11 p. https://doi.org/10.14358/PERS.83.1.57.
- Changes in output of industrial timber products in Georgia, 1971-1974
- The small forest landowner and his woodland
- Forests of Indiana, 2013
XML: View XML