Skip to Main Content
A preliminary study of wildland fire pattern indicator reliability following an experimental fireAuthor(s): Albert Simeoni; Zachary C. Owens; Erik W. Christiansen; Abid Kemal; Michael Gallagher; Kenneth L. Clark; Nicholas Skowronski; Eric V. Mueller; Jan C. Thomas; Simon Santamaria; Rory M. Hadden
Source: Journal of Fire Sciences
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (5.0 MB)
DescriptionAn experimental fire was conducted in 2016, in the Pinelands National Reserve of New Jersey, to assess the reliability of the fire pattern indicators used in wildland fire investigation. Objects were planted in the burn area to support the creation of the indicators. Fuel properties and environmental data were recorded. Video and infrared cameras were used to document the general fire behavior. This work represents the first step in the analysis by developing an experimental protocol suitable for field studies and describing how different fire indicators appeared in relation to fire behavior. Most of the micro- and macroscale indicators were assessed. The results show that some indicators are highly dependent on local fire conditions and may contradict the general fire spread. Overall, this study demonstrates that fire pattern indicators are a useful tool for fire investigators but that they must be interpreted through a general analysis of the fire behavior with a good understanding of fire dynamics.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSimeoni, Albert; Owens, Zachary C.; Christiansen, Erik W.; Kemal, Abid; Gallagher, Michael; Clark, Kenneth L.; Skowronski, Nicholas; Mueller, Eric V.; Thomas, Jan C.; Santamaria, Simon; Hadden, Rory M. 2017. A preliminary study of wildland fire pattern indicator reliability following an experimental fire. Journal of Fire Sciences. 35(5): 359-378. https://doi.org/10.1177/0734904117720674.
KeywordsWildland fires, field experiments, fire investigation, fire pattern indicators
- Combining turbulent kinetic energy and Haines Index predictions for fire-weather assessments
- Surface fire intensity influences simulated crown fire behavior in lodgepole pine forests with recent mountain pine beetle-caused tree mortality
- Mathematical modeling of forest fire initiation in three dimensional setting
XML: View XML