Skip to Main Content
Wisconsin Forests 2014Author(s): Cassandra M. Kurtz; Sally E. Dahir; Andrew M. Stoltman; William H. McWilliams; Brett J. Butler; Mark D. Nelson; Randall S. Morin; Ronald J. Piva; Sarah K. Herrick; Laura J. Lorentz; Mark Guthmiller; Charles H. Perry
Source: Resour. Bull. NRS-112. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 116 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (14.0 MB)
DescriptionThis report summarizes the third annual inventory of Wisconsin’s forests, conducted 2009–2014. Wisconsin’s forests cover 17.1 million acres with 16.6 million acres classified as timberland. Forests are bountiful in the north with Florence, Forest, Menominee, and Vilas Counties having over 90 percent forest cover. In the southeastern part of the State, forest cover is lowest with Dodge, Fond du Lac, Milwaukee, and Racine Counties having less than 10 percent forest cover. The sawtimber volume on timberland has been rising and is estimated to be 69.5 billion board feet. Oak/hickory is the predominant forest-type group, covering one-quarter of the forest land. The statewide growth-to-removal ratio on timberland is 2.2, indicating growth is outpacing removals. Additional information on Wisconsin’s forests such as growth, mortality, species composition, ownership, diseases, invasive plant species, and forest economics is detailed in this report. Information on forest inventory methods, data quality estimates, and important resource statistics can be found online at https://doi.org/10.2737/NRS-RB-112.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKurtz, Cassandra M.; Dahir, Sally E.; Stoltman, Andrew M.; McWilliams, William H.; Butler, Brett J.; Nelson, Mark D.; Morin, Randall S.; Piva, Ronald J.; Herrick, Sarah K.; Lorentz, Laura J.; Guthmiller, Mark; Perry, Charles H. 2017. Wisconsin Forests 2014. Resour. Bull. NRS-112. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 116 p.
Keywordsforest resources, volume, regeneration, forest health, forest products, biomass, carbon
XML: View XML