Skip to Main Content
Dendrochronological reconstruction of the epicenter and early spread of emerald ash borer in North AmericaAuthor(s): Nathan W. Siegert; Deborah G. McCullough; Andrew M. Liebhold; Frank W. Telewski
Source: Diversity and Distributions 20: 847-858.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (573.0 KB)
DescriptionEmerald ash borer Agrilus planipennis was identified in 2002 as the cause of extensive ash (Fraxinus spp.) decline and mortality in Detroit, Michigan, and has since killed millions of ash trees in the US and Canada. When discovered, it was not clear how long it had been present or at what location the invading colony started. We used dendrochronological methods to document the onset and progression of ash mortality and the spatio-temporal dynamics of the invasion. Reconstructing the progression of ash mortality serves as a proxy to draw inferences about the colonization and spread of emerald ash borer in North America.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSiegert, Nathan W.; McCullough, Deborah G.; Liebhold, Andrew M.; Telewski, Frank W. 2014. Dendrochronological reconstruction of the epicenter and early spread of emerald ash borer in North America. Diversity and Distributions 20: 847-858.
KeywordsAgrilus planipennis, biological invasions, dendroentomology, epicentre, invasive forest pest, stratified dispersal
- Optimizing use of girdled ash trees for management of low-density emerald ash borer (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) populations
- Three-year progression of emerald ash borer-induced decline and mortality in southeastern Michigan
- Measuring the impact of biotic factors on populations of immature Emerald Ash Borers (Coleoptera: Buprestidae).
XML: View XML