Skip to Main Content
Association genetics of growth and adaptive traits in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) using whole-exome-discovered polymorphismsAuthor(s): Mengmeng Lu; Konstantin V. Krutovsky; C. Dana Nelson; Jason B. West; Nathalie A. Reilly; Carol A. Loopstra
Source: Tree Genetics & Genomes
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
View PDF (845.0 KB)
DescriptionIn the USA, forest genetics research began over 100 years ago and loblolly pine breeding programs were established in the 1950s. However, the genetics underlying complex traits of loblolly pine remains to be discovered. To address this, adaptive and growth traits were measured and analyzed in a clonally tested loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) population. Over 2.8 million single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) markers detected from exome sequencing were used to test for single-locus associations, SNP-SNP interactions, and correlation of individual heterozygosity with phenotypic traits. A total of 36 SNP-trait associations were found for specific leaf area (5 SNPs), branch angle (2), crown width (3), stem diameter (4), total height (9), carbon isotope discrimination (4), nitrogen concentration (2), and pitch canker resistance traits (7). Eleven SNP-SNP interactions were found to be associated with branch angle (1 SNP-SNP interaction),
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLu, Mengmeng; Krutovsky, Konstantin V.; Nelson, C. Dana; West, Jason B.; Reilly, Nathalie A.; Loopstra, Carol A. 2017. Association genetics of growth and adaptive traits in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) using whole-exome-discovered polymorphisms. Tree Genetics & Genomes. 13(3): 199-216. 18 p. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11295-017-1140-1.
KeywordsAssociation mapping . Epistasis . Exome heterozygosity . Loblolly pine . SNP
- Exome genotyping, linkage disequilibrium and population structure in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.)
- Genetic Analysis of earl field growth of loblolly pine clones and seedlings from the same full-sib families
- Genetic variation in the microfibril angle of loblolly pine from two test sites
XML: View XML