Skip to Main Content
Acoustic impact testing and waveform analysis for damage detection in glued laminated timberAuthor(s): Feng Xu; Xiping Wang; Marko Teder; Yunfei Liu
Source: Holzforschung. 71(10): 197-208
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
Download Publication (3.0 MB)
DescriptionDelamination and decay are common structural defects in old glued laminated timber (glulam) buildings, which, if left undetected, could cause severe structural damage. This paper presents a new damage detection method for glulam inspection based on moment analysis and wavelet transform (WT) of impact acoustic signals. Acoustic signals were collected from a glulam arch section removed from service through impact testing at various locations. The presence and positions of internal defects were preliminarily determined by applying time centroid and frequency centroid of the first moment. Acoustic signals were then decomposed by wavelet packet transform (WPT) and the energy of the sub-bands was calculated as characteristics of the response signals. The sub-bands of 0–375 Hz and 375–750 Hz were identified as the most discriminative features that are associated with decay and delamination and therefore are indicative of the presence of delamination or decay defects. A defect diagnosis algorithm was tested for its ability to identify internal decay and delamination in glulam. The results show that depth of delamination in a glulam member can be determined with reasonable accuracy.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationXu, Feng; Wang, Xiping; Teder, Marko; Liu, Yunfei. 2017. Acoustic impact testing and waveform analysis for damage detection in glued laminated timber. Holzforschung. 71(10): 197-208.
KeywordsDecay, delamination, glulam, moment analysis, wave propagation, wavelet transform
- Defect detection and quality assessment of hardwood logs: part 1—acoustic impact test and wavelet analysis
- Assessing internal soundness of hardwood logs through acoustic impact test and waveform analysis
- Combining acoustic and laser scanning methods to improve hardwood log segregation
XML: View XML