Skip to Main Content
Vertical density profile and internal bond strength of wet-formed particleboard bonded with cellulose nanofibrilsAuthor(s): John F. Hunt; Weiqi Leng; Mehdi Tajvidi
Source: Wood and Fiber Science, 2017. 49(4): 1-11.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: View PDF (695.0 KB)
DescriptionIn this study, the effects of cellulose nanofibrils (CNFs) ratio, press program, particle size, and density on the vertical density profile (VDP) and internal bond (IB) strength of the wet-formed particleboard were investigated. Results revealed that the VDP was significantly influenced by the press program. Pressing using a constant pressure (CP) press program produced panels with flat-shaped profile. Panels made from a constant thickness (CT) press program produced U-shaped profile. The CNF ratio and density also influenced the VDP especially for the CT panels. As the CNF ratio increased, there were noticeable increases in face density, while the core density slowly increased. The CT panels had the lowest core density compared with the CP counterparts, thus significantly lowering the IB. The IB of CP panels increased with the increase of CNF ratio, but the trend for CT panels was different. For the 10% CNF ratio, the IB increased as the core density increased. For the 15% and 20% CNF ratios, the IB decreased as the core density increased. For CP panels, the minimum core densities were higher and thus the IB was significantly higher. None of the panels met the IB values for high-density standard particleboard. All CP panels met some of the medium-density standard IB values and all the low-density standard IB values. However, for the CT panels, only those with 15% and 20% CNF ratio marginally met the low- and medium-density particleboard standard. Trends show that increased CNF ratio and higher pressure could improve IB properties for the high-density particleboard.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHunt, John F.; Leng, Weiqi; Tajvidi, Mehdi. 2017. Vertical density profile and internal bond strength of wet-formed particleboard bonded with cellulose nanofibrils. Wood and Fiber Science. 49(4): 1-11.
KeywordsFractional factorial design, vertical density profile, internal bond, CNF ratio, pressing method, core and face density
- Effects of density, cellulose nanofibrils addition ratio, pressing method, and particle size on the bending properties of wet-formed particleboard
- Properties of particleboard made from recycled CCA-treated wood
- Effects of post heat-treatment on surface characteristics and adhesive bonding performance of medium density fiberboard
XML: View XML