Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Smart timber bridge on geosynthetic reinforced soil (GRS) abutmentsAuthor(s): Adam Senalik; James P. Wacker; Travis K. Hosteng; John Hermanson
Source: In: Proceedings, ICTB 2017, 3rd international Conference on timber bridges 2017. Skellefteå, Sweden. 11 p.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: View PDF (551.0 KB)
DescriptionRecently, Buchanan County, Iowa, has cooperated with the U.S. Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), USDA Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory (FPL), and Iowa State University’s Bridge Engineering Center (ISU–BEC) to initiate a project involving the construction and monitoring of a glued-laminated (glulam) timber superstructure on geosynthetic reinforced soil (GRS) integrated bridge system (IBS) abutments. The research team from FPL installed sensors in the substructure as well as in the bearings of the girders. In addition, the research team from ISU– BEC installed sensors on the superstructure that create an autonomous structural health monitoring system for the bridge. Data are collected remotely and transmitted continuously around the clock every day. Long-term monitoring enables researchers to evaluate GRS–IBS system performance with respect to variables of time, ambient conditions, and loading.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSenalik, Adam; Wacker, James P.; Hosteng, Travis K.; Hermanson, John. 2017. Smart timber bridge on geosynthetic reinforced soil (GRS) abutments. In: Proceedings, ICTB 2017, 3rd International Conference on Timber Bridges. Skellefteå, Sweden. 11 p.
KeywordsGeosynthetic reinforced soil, health monitoring, timber, glulam, substructure, superstructure
- Condition Assessment of Iowa Timber Bridges Using Advanced Inspection Tools
- Service life assessment of timber highway bridges in USA climate zones
- Field performance of timber bridges. 14, Dean, Hibbsville, and Decatur stress-laminated deck bridges
XML: View XML