Skip to Main Content
Impact performance of two bamboo-based laminated compositesAuthor(s): Huanrong Liu; Zehui Jiang; Zhengjun Sun; Yan Yan; Zhiyong Cai; Xiubiao Zhang
Source: European Journal of Wood and Wood Products. 75(5): 711-718.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
Download Publication (2.0 MB)
DescriptionThe present work aims to determine the impact performance of two bamboo-based laminated composites [bamboo/poplar laminated composite (BPLC) and bamboo/ glass fiber laminated composite (BGFLC)] using lowvelocity impact tests by a drop tower. In addition, fracture characteristics were evaluated using computed tomography (CT). Results showed that BPLC presented better impact properties in both directions than BGFLC. Three stages are noted in impact load–deflection curves. The load–deflection curve characteristics of two composites are different in different stages. Matrix cracking, fiber-matrix interface debonding and delamination, and fiber breakage are the three main fracture mechanisms of two composites. Structural characteristics of the components and bonding strength are the important factors for impact properties and fracture mechanism of both bamboo-based laminated composites.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLiu, Huanrong; Jiang, Zehui; Sun, Zhengjun; Yan, Yan; Cai, Zhiyong; Zhang, Xiubiao. 2017. Impact performance of two bamboo-based laminated composites. European Journal of Wood and Wood Products. 75(5): 711-718.
KeywordsLaminated wood, bamboo, impact, composite
- Effect of fabricated density and bamboo species on physical-mechanical properties of bamboo fiber bundle reinforced composites
- Wettability of three Honduran bamboo species
- Important properties of bamboo pellets to be used as commercial solid fuel in China
XML: View XML