Skip to Main Content
Historical patterns of spruce budworm defoliation and bark beetle outbreaks in North American conifer forests: an atlas and description of digital mapsAuthor(s): David W. Williams; Richard A. Birdsey
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-308. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 33 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
Download Publication (1.18 MB)
DescriptionThis atlas presents maps of historical defoliation by the eastern and western spruce budworms and historical outbreaks of the mountain and southern pine beetles during the past half century. The maps encompass various regions of the conterminous United States and eastern Canada. This publication also serves as documentation for an extended set of digital maps, which are available on our website. The digital maps are useful for investigating spatial dynamics of insect populations and for providing pest disturbance inputs to spatially explicit forest simulation models.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWilliams, David W.; Birdsey, Richard A. 2003. Historical patterns of spruce budworm defoliation and bark beetle outbreaks in North American conifer forests: an atlas and description of digital maps. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-308. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 33 p.
KeywordsChoristoneura fumiferana, Choristoneura occidentalis, Dendroctonus frontalis, Dendroctonus ponderosae, Lepidoptera, Tortricidae, Coleoptera, Scolytidae, maps, spatial dynamics, disturbance, vegetation models, Canada
- Development of an aggressive bark beetle on novel hosts: Implications for outbreaks in an invaded range
- Developing and validating a method for monitoring and tracking changes in southern pine beetle hazard at the landscape level
- Severity of a mountain pine beetle outbreak across a range of stand conditions in Fraser Experimental Forest, Colorado, United States
XML: View XML