Skip to Main Content
Characterizations of biodegradable epoxy-coated cellulose nanofibrils (CNF) thin film for flexible microwave applicationsAuthor(s): Hongyi Mi; Chien-Hao Liu; Tzu-Husan Chang; Jung-Hun Seo; Huilong Zhang; Sang June Cho; Nader Behdad; Zhenqiang Ma; Chunhua Yao; Zhiyong Cai; Shaoqin Gong
Source: Cellulose. 23(3): 1989-1995.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
Download Publication (853.0 KB)
DescriptionWood pulp cellulose nanofibrils (CNF) thin film is a novel recyclable and biodegradable material. We investigated the microwave dielectric properties of the epoxy coated-CNF thin film for potential broad applications in flexible high speed electronics. The characterizations of dielectric properties were carried out in a frequency range of 1–10 GHz. The dielectric constant and loss tangent were extracted by using measurements of microstrip transmission lines that were built on the epoxy coated- CNF film and combined with Agilent Advanced Design System simulations. The RF property for the epoxy coated-CNF was compared to that of commercial polyethylene terephthalate film (PET). With the comparable microwave properties of non-biodegradable PET film, our study suggests that the epoxy coated-CNF film is a suitable biodegradable and environment-friendly substrate for flexible microwave and other applications.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMi, Hongyi; Liu, Chien-Hao; Chang, Tzu-Husan; Seo, Jung-Hun; Zhang, Huilong; Cho, Sang June; Behdad, Nader; Ma, Zhenqiang; Yao, Chunhua; Cai, Zhiyong; Gong, Shaoqin. 2016. Characterizations of biodegradable epoxy-coated cellulose nanofibrils (CNF) thin film for flexible microwave applications. Cellulose. 23(3): 1989-1995.
KeywordsDielectric characterization, epoxy coated-cellulose nanofibrils (CNF), biodegradable, transmission line measurement, flexible substrate, RF loss
- Facile preparation of optically transparent and hydrophobic cellulose nanofibril composite films
- Microwave flexible transistors on cellulose nanofibrillated fiber substrates
- High-performance green flexible electronics based on biodegradable cellulose nanofibril paper
XML: View XML