Skip to Main Content
A model-based approach to estimating forest areaAuthor(s): Ronald E. McRoberts
Source: Remote Sensing of Environment
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (299.0 KB)
DescriptionA logistic regression model based on forest inventory plot data and transformations of Landsat Thematic Mapper satellite imagery was used to predict the probability of forest for 15 study areas in Indiana, USA, and 15 in Minnesota, USA. Within each study area, model-based estimates of forest area were obtained for circular areas with radii of 5 km, 10 km, and 15 km and were compared to design-based estimates based on inventory plot data. Precision estimates for the circular areas were also obtained using variance formulae developed for this application that incorporated spatial correlation among model predictions for individual pixels. The model-based estimates were generally comparable to the design-based estimates. The advantages of the model-based approach are that maps and small areas estimates may be obtained and the necessity of releasing exact plot locations for user-specific applications is alleviated.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcRoberts, Ronald E. 2006. A model-based approach to estimating forest area. Remote Sensing of Environment. 103(1): 56-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2006.03.005.
KeywordsLogistic regression model, Landsat Thematic Mapper, Indiana, USA, Minnesota, USA
- A Proposal for Phase 4 of the Forest Inventory and Analysis Program
- A two-step nearest neighbors algorithm using satellite imagery for predicting forest structure within species composition classes
- Mortality rates associated with crown health for eastern forest tree species
XML: View XML