Skip to Main Content
Validation of the OpCost logging cost model using contractor surveysAuthor(s): Conor K. Bell; Robert F. Keefe; Jeremy S. Fried
Source: International Journal of Forest Engineering. 28(2): 73-84.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionOpCost is a harvest and fuel treatment operations cost model developed to function as both a standalone tool and an integrated component of the Bioregional Inventory Originated Simulation Under Management (BioSum) analytical framework for landscape-level analysis of forest management alternatives. OpCost is an updated implementation of the Fuel Reduction Cost Simulator (FRCS). However, neither FRCS nor OpCost have been formally validated. Validation of simulation models using data that are independent of those used for model development is important for building user confidence in model predictions. This is particularly true when models are embedded in decision support systems and deployed regionally to inform policy. To evaluate the quality of OpCost predictions in fuel reduction treatments, a mixed method survey was conducted in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. Professional logging contractors were asked to estimate the production rates and costs of common logging systems using timber sale prospectus data generated using GIS and the FVS model. Comparing survey results to production and cost estimates generated by OpCost for the same stand and site conditions facilitated evaluation of prediction error for both entire harvest systems and their individual equipment components. Model predictions were not different from expert estimates of total costs for harvest systems, but there were differences between predicted and expert estimates of production rates for individual pieces of equipment.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBell, Conor K.; Keefe, Robert F.; Fried, Jeremy S. 2017. Validation of the OpCost logging cost model using contractor surveys. International Journal of Forest Engineering. 28(2): 73-84. https://doi.org/10.1080/14942119.2017.1313488.
KeywordsLogging cost, forest, operations model, OpCost, fuel treatments, Forest Vegetation Simulator, BioSum.
- Users guide for FRCS: fuel reduction cost simulator software.
- An integrated approach to evaluating the economic costs of wildfire hazard reduction through wood utilization opportunities in the southwestern United States
- An integrated approach to evaluating the economic costs of wildfire hazard reduction through wood utilization opportunities in the Southwestern United States
XML: View XML